One example I often give when I talk about the impact the interactive whiteboard had on my students is this: I was teaching some low-level readers (who were often turned off from reading and were difficult to engage in comprehension skill activities). I would put a reading passage on the screen for the students to read. Then I would ask a comprehension question. I would ask a student to answer the question, but in addition to the answer, the student had to come to the board and underline the proof. I watched as my students who hated to read anxiously waited to be called on to answer the question so they could interact with the board. And it wasn't a phase; all year long, students were excited about using the board to interact with lessons. I, too, enjoyed the interaction the board afforded me. Instead of standing behind my computer to guide a lesson on the screen, I was able to be at the screen, "driving".
SMART Boards are not the only interactive whiteboards available. There are others (for example, ActivBoards, and Interwrite Boards.) My favorite is the SMART Board, but that may just be because I'm comfortable using it.
Below are some interactive whiteboard resources. Some are just for SMART Board, others are generic, and others are simply links to interactive sites that you could use even if you don't have an interactive whiteboard.
Education section of SMART Technologies website: http://education.smarttech.com/ste/en-us/
- Teacher's Hub has sections for "Getting started" and "Enhancing skills"
- Educator Resources includes Lesson activities, online classroom resources, software resources, etc.
- Training Center- Free Training Materials
- SMART Exchange- Community area, including a forum and downloads.
Notebook lessons and SMART Board Resources
- Notebook lessons http://technology.usd259.org/resources/whiteboards/smartlessons.htm
- Notebook lessons http://www.lakelandschools.org/EDTECH/Smartboard/smart-files.htm
- Teachers Love SMARTBoards Blog- Tons of ideas and resources!
- SMART Board Podcasts
- Scholastic SMART Board Links and Resources
- Engaging Learners the SMART Board Way
Interactive Whiteboard Resources
- The Whiteboard Blog Interactive technology in the classroom
- Whiteboard Resources (see links at the top for level and subject area)
- Internet 4 Classrooms SMART Board Resources
(cross posted on Explore the Possibilities)