I ran across this site this weekend. It outlines the top 50 occupations for the next ten years. You can sort the list by projected need, growth, salary, and amount of education.
5. Computer Software Engineers, Applications
6. Computer Software Engineers, System Software
7. Computer Systems Analysts
10. Computer and Information System Manager.
Projected growth really got my attention. Seven of the top 10 were computer related.
1. Network System and Data Communication Analysts
2. Computer Software Engineers, Applications
3. Computer Software Engineers, System Software
5. Network and Computer System Administrators
6. Database Administrators
8. Computer System Analysts
10. Computer and Information Systems Managers.
The other three were all in the medical field, Dental Hygienists, PTs, and RNs.
What does all this mean? Considering Professional Athlete did not make the top 50, maybe our schools technology budget should be greater than the athletics budget.